Rebekah Sommer is a photographer, artist, writer, and alumnus of Montserrat College of Art in Beverly, Massachusetts where she earned her BFA concentrating in Photography with a minor in Creative Writing.
Art has been Rebekah’s lifelong passion. She works in both traditional and digital media (including film and digital photography, digital and traditional painting and drawing, and needle-felted wool, to name a few). The themes that animate and drive her passion include animals, landscapes (both built and natural), nostalgia, memories, dreams, reflections, and identity.
She enjoys documenting and highlighting importance in the mundane through her photographs, drawings, and paintings, as well as her written works of poetry, short stories, essays, and journaling, aiming to create a record of the here-and-now that so fleetingly escapes us. She finds the importance and relevance in these moments that would otherwise be lost and forgotten to a world that continues to rush past us in our busy, fragmented lives.
Her photography tends to focus on organizing geometric and organic shapes within the picture plane in compelling ways, playing with scale and portraying environments in a way that can transport viewers there, aiming to show enveloping, all-encompassing space.
Montserrat College of Art / BFA / concentration in Photography, minor in Creative Writing / grad. 2023
Exhibitions and Awards
- 2023 – Growth: What it Takes to Heal, senior thesis exhibition, 1A Knowlton St., Beverly, MA
- 2021 – The Backrooms Guild, GARF. exhibition, 1A Knowlton St., Beverly, MA
- 2021 – Alpaca Owners Association Photo Contest, honorable mention
- 2021 – Fran F. Carreiro Scholarship, Montserrat College of Art, Beverly, MA
- 2021 – Junior Showcase exhibition, Montserrat College of Art, Beverly, MA
- 2021 – “Monster Rat” College Mascot Design Competition winner, Montserrat College of Art, Beverly, MA
- 2021 – Mass Poetry Festival, photo broadside, Salem, MA
- 2019 – Improbable Places Poetry Tour, poetry reading, Paper Asylum, Beverly, MA
- 2019 – Creative Writing Merit Award, Montserrat College of Art, Beverly, MA
- 2018 – “Color Me Beautiful,” poetry reading, Cabot Theatre Streetside Bar, Beverly, MA
- 2018 – Bare Gallery, poetry reading, Beverly, MA
- 2018 – Somerville Toy Camera Festival, Brickbottom Gallery, Somerville, MA
- 2018 – Best of College & High School Photography Contest, finalist, Photographer’s Forum Magazine
- 2015–2019 – Montserrat Open House and Accepted Students Day exhibitions, Beverly, MA
- 2017 – NoBo Puppet Slam, Spooky Slam, poetry reading, Larcom Theatre, Beverly, MA
- 2017 – Montserrat College of Art student exhibition, 301 Gallery, Beverly, MA
- 2016 – MASh, film and video screening, The Cabot Theatre, Beverly, MA
- 2015 – Improbable Places Poetry Tour, poetry reading, Cabot Theatre, Beverly, MA